JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Thoughts on Classified and Retro lines?  (Read 1588324 times)

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Classified and Retro lines?
« Reply #432 on: September 30, 2024, 08:28:03 AM »

I picked up Raptor on the weekend - the figure is fine, the accessories are fine, the update from the ARAH original is very well done. But...
this is the first Classified figure that I have purchased that I just don't care about.  And the fact he was a more expensive "deluxe" figure probably adds to the Meh feeling I have towards it.   
The best part about GIJoe is there is enough variety that allows for something for everyone, but I can confirm, this one is not for me.
I also passed on the troop two pack Steel Brigade and Twilight Guard.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: October 03, 2024, 07:43:45 PM »

Found Retro Beachhead and Retro Stalker in the wild today at Gamestop.  Bought both.  Beachhead is easily my favourite figure from the retro line.     
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: October 09, 2024, 01:01:58 PM »

Anyone grab any classified figs from the Amazon Prime sale?  I got an extra Eels and Snow Serpent for ~$25.

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: October 09, 2024, 07:16:06 PM »

I was tempted to get a few more of them (Eels/Snow Serpents) but I have been over spending on toys the past month+.   So I had to be responsible and stuck to what I am missing from the collection right now.   So I snagged Night Creeper and Jinx (along with the Marvel Legends Cabal 3-pack).    I already have Doc and Torch.   So I am now just needing Road Pig, Raptor and the newest 60th figures (HALO and Marine?).   Then I am all caught up on what is currently released.    Then I can focus on the Alpine/IG wave next (though I do have the IG and IG BAT on preorder).   Oh and I need Retro Stalker as well.

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: October 10, 2024, 09:54:48 AM »

I hear you about the spending.  I just picked up two retro Cobra Troopers and the Walmart 2 night force 2 pack.  I should have Road pig by the weekend.  Crazy how quickly the $ adds up.

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: October 16, 2024, 10:33:39 AM »

Road Pig as a figure is great - didn't need any of the accessories other than the cinder block on a stick, I feel like the heavier price tag was for all of the extras that are going into a box to never be seen again.
Monkey Wrench and Thrasher - where are you?

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: October 16, 2024, 01:06:25 PM »

Road Pig as a figure is great - didn't need any of the accessories other than the cinder block on a stick, I feel like the heavier price tag was for all of the extras that are going into a box to never be seen again.
Monkey Wrench and Thrasher - where are you?

Really?   I think Road Pig is one of those rare releases where the crap ton of accessories  is a good thing.   I also like the new boar's head hammer much better than the cinder block.   I know the cinder block is classic, but the new one just outshines it in my opinion.   As much as I want to like the pig skin mask I don't.   I feel it is too "Mad Max" for the line and Road Pig.   The Dreadnoks are bikers, not post apocalyptic horror wannabes.

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: October 16, 2024, 01:13:30 PM »

The extra heads did nothing for me.  The open mouth reminds me of Sloth from the goonies - "Hey you guys" and I originally thought the boars head was a mask, and not a separate head.  I would agree the updated boars head hammer was an interesting addition/update to the original figure.
I am on the fence if I want the Classified line to simply be up-sized versions of the ARAH figures, or do I want modern takes on those classic characters.  I think I am happiest when they fall somewhere in between.

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 17, 2024, 06:03:58 AM »

The extra heads did nothing for me.  The open mouth reminds me of Sloth from the goonies - "Hey you guys" and I originally thought the boars head was a mask, and not a separate head.  I would agree the updated boars head hammer was an interesting addition/update to the original figure.
I am on the fence if I want the Classified line to simply be up-sized versions of the ARAH figures, or do I want modern takes on those classic characters.  I think I am happiest when they fall somewhere in between.

Don't worry Hasbro will probably do a Retro release to make us double dip for a more classic ARAH look.

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 18, 2024, 09:18:58 AM »

When it rains it pours - making me poor.  So last week it was Road Pig, Retro Trooper and the walmart 2 pack.  This week I have IG Bat, Alpine and Storm Shadow V2 waiting for me to pick up, another $120 out the door.

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 18, 2024, 06:30:17 PM »

When it rains it pours - making me poor.  So last week it was Road Pig, Retro Trooper and the walmart 2 pack.  This week I have IG Bat, Alpine and Storm Shadow V2 waiting for me to pick up, another $120 out the door.

Just wait until you see what they just revealed at NYCC.

Just finished watching a livestream of the Hasbro panel.

Classified is going to kill our wallets in 2025.   

Digital renders:  Footloose, Trench Viper w/Cobra Battle Station (think of the old Battle Bunker but updated and modular so you can combine multiple into a large base), 60th Anniversary Firefighter and Snake Eyes w/Polar Bear (part of the M.A.S.S. program they are doing).   The Polar Bear is HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!

Then the next preorders are the next Retro wave (Rock & Roll, Dr. Mindbender and Viper)

Name only reveals:  Darklon, Snake Eyes V4 and Crystal Ball

What's worse is they announced production shifts have made it so product will be delayed for Classified in 2025.   That makes me think we are going to see a repeat of 2023 where we had an absolute tsunami of product hit retail in the final quarter of 2023.   I guess the only good thing is we know ahead of time and hopefully I can plan out my spending to be ready for that next year.

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 18, 2024, 07:25:19 PM »

If you want to see images:

https://toynewsi.com/278-55267